The Professional Cook program follows ITA prescribed course curriculum for institutional entry to Professional Cook 1. Learners will perform all phases of kitchen activities including the preparation and presentation of vegetables, soups, sauces, meat, fish and poultry; cold kitchen items; desserts, baking, pastry; basic menu planning/costing as well as knowledge of safety, sanitation and food storage. Learners will also gain valuable knowledge of human and customer relations which will enable them to become leaders in their field. Level 1 starts learners in a fully supervised environment performing basic cooking and food preparation tasks. There is a standardized ITA exam upon completion of this level.
Professional Cooks work in a variety of settings including: camps, institutional kitchens, family restaurants, hotels, cruise ships, ferry boats, resorts, nursing homes, hospitals, catering operations, and airlines.
Location: Dawson Creek Campus
Length: 20 weeks/600 hrs
Start: September and February
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Provide British Columbia secondary school transcripts or equivalent indicating successful completion of Grade 10 level that includes:
• Grade 10 English, OR Career and College Preparation ENGL 030 (Advanced/Grade 10) with C+ or higher;
• Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace Math), OR Career and College Preparation MATH 030 (Intermediate Developmental Math), MATH 031(Intermediate Trades Math) or MATH 035 (Intermediate Algebraic Math) with C+;
ESTR 037 (Intermediate-Level Essential Skills for Trades) with 67%, or higher;
Complete the following sections of the Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
• Reading Comprehension: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Number Operations: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Problem Solving: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Grade 10 level completion that includes Grade 10 English and Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace Math), each with C+ or higher.
After being accepted into the program but before the add/drop date students will be required to provide proof of the following certification(s):
• FoodSafe Level 1 * All certificates must be valid for the duration of the program. Failure to provide proof may result in immediate dismissal from the program.
- This program is eligible for Canada Student Loans for domestic students. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online. Note that dual credit students are not eligible for Student Aid.
- This program is affiliated with School District 59, School District 60, School District 81, School District 87, Northern Alberta Institute of Technology, the Industry Training Authority and Go 2 (Industry training organization who monitors all hospitality type industry for the ITA)
- Students are required to sign and adhere to the Trades and Apprenticeship Safety & Attendance Rules and Regulatory Practices for Students Policy
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide
APPLY NOW for the Cook Training program
Do you need more information?
Program Instructor: Michael French
Program Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
PCOI 101 Professional Cook 1 Institutional Entry (600hrs)