Students receive training according to the provincial Apprenticeship curriculum, as established by the Industry Training Authority (ITA) of British Columbia. Students who complete the NLC Foundation program are taught in a salon environment for the majority of their 990 hours and are credited with 300 work-based training hours.
Students are introduced to the basics of haircuts, styles, shampoo and scalp treatments. Students are also trained to chemically treat hair using colour and permanent treatments, and the business and communication skills required in a salon environment.
Upon successful completion of the Foundation program and 1290 further work-based training hours, students may enroll in the Hairstylist Apprenticeship Program.
Well-trained hairstylists are in constant demand in every community. Graduates who have obtained their ITA Red Seal certification are qualified to secure employment in large or small salons, or they may wish to open their own business. The following career opportunities are available to program graduates: hairstylist, technician, platform artist, salon management, cruise ship salon operator, film stylist, instructor, inspector, examiner, and salesperson.
Location: Dawson Creek South Peace Campus (10808 15 St, Dawson Creek, BC V1G 3Z3)
Length: Approximately 35 weeks (1063 hours)
Fees: Current Fee Schedule
Questions? Check our Frequently Asked Questions section.
Applicants will fit one of the four specific groups:
1) Provide British Columbia secondary school transcripts or equivalent indicating successful completion of Grade 10 level that includes:
• Grade 10 English, OR Grade 11 Communications, OR Career and College Preparation ENGL 030 (Advanced/Grade 10) with C+ or higher;
• Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace Math), OR Career and College Preparation MATH 030 (Intermediate Developmental Math), MATH 031(Intermediate Trades Math) or MATH 035 (Intermediate Algebraic Math) with C+ or higher.
• Grade 10 Science, or Science 030, with C+ or higher
2) ESTR 037 (Intermediate-Level Essential Skills for Trades) with 67% or higher,
3) Complete the following sections of the Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT):
• Reading Comprehension: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Number Operations: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Problem Solving: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher
• Science: 11.0 grade equivalent or higher|
4) Dual Credit
• Grade 10 level completion that includes Grade 10 English or Grade 11 Communications, Grade 10 Math (Apprenticeship and Workplace Math), Grade 10 Science all with C+ or higher.
The following course is recommended prior to the start of the program:
- The program is eligible for Canada Student Loans. Visit StudentAid BC to apply for financial assistance online. Note that dual credit students are not eligible for Student Aid.
- Basic student equipment kit will be included in instructional related fees..
- Graduates are required to write the British Columbia Certificate of Qualification written examination, if they wish to pursue working in the province. Students are responsible for all fees associated with any external examinations. Students who have completed a formal apprenticeship will also receive a Certificate of Apprenticeship.
- The program is affiliated with the Industry Training Authority.
- As NLC’s South Peace campus is connected to the Dawson Creek High School - South Peace campus, the Criminal Records Review Act requires that all students over the age of 19 before classes begin must complete a Schedule Type B Criminal Record Check (CRC). Costs related to the CRC will be paid by the College; please contact the NLC Admissions Officer for more information.
- The information on this program page is a summary of the official Program Completion Guide approved by NLC’s Education Council. Download a PDF of the Program Completion Guide.
APPLY NOW for the Hairstylist program
Do you need more information?
Please note that students must successfully complete each unit/course in order to progress to the next.